Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lucy no more, Here comes Ida

So, I see Google has changed their page today to reflect the latest find in our anthropological gene pool that speaks to our ancestry. Or does it?

I have to say, I am not one to get into a debate about Darwinism vs. Religion, however, you do have to wonder, if we really did evolve from our furry friends, whatever happened to us as we moved forward.

Humanity is the evolved species, the animal on the top of the food chain, not to mention the one that sticks out in the primordial soup. Are we that evolved though? We walk upright, we have opposable thumbs, we can eat almost any other animal or plant, etc. etc. Does that qualify us as the evolved species?

I sometimes wonder. Each day I find out new reasons as to why humanity is not what its all cracked up to be. How can a living being, that has no sense or thought for its fellow being and can commit such horrific atrocities be on top of any chain? Its awkward and quite egotistical of us to think that just because we speak in a certain way and can bully our way through mother nature, we are it.

Let's not get preachy, this blog was never intended to do that, and I am no saint, but I wonder sometimes and I hope, we are evolved enough to be humbled by the fact that we are in an abyss and the thirst of knowledge should drive us further, reaching out to new vistas and exploring our visions, well beyond our limited focal points of view. I hope we recognize the complexities in the simplicities of life, and take pleasure in the beauty that surrounds us.

Smell the roses folks, and if you don't like roses, find something else that suits your fancy.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
- Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment